Sunday, November 9, 2008

East meets West

No, this is not a post on Asian-fusion cooking. This is what happens when you transplant a BC girl to the Maritimes (Canada, that is). My first impression of Maritime cooking was pork, pork and more pork. I don't eat pork. I can't, it actually makes me physically ill. This led to some uncomfortable conversations when we were invited to ham suppers here. I happily ate my scalloped potatoes (or potatoes scallop for my Maritime friends) as my hostess couldn't get over the fact that I didn't eat ham. Who is this girl and whoever heard of someone not eating ham anyway? Maritimers are great a basic meat and potatoes meals. They are hearty and have served us well over the years. But, as I said, I'm a BC girl. The Vancouver area is full of the best food the world has to offer. And I love to cook. I love to figure out recipes. In fact sometimes I have a hard time ordering at restaurants because I don't want to order something that I can make at home. I want to try something new and delicious. I've had a lot of fun with food since I've moved here, from spooking my friend Barb (a solid bologna sandwich on white bread kinda girl) at work by eating falafel for lunch to introducing my friend Sarah to perogies (what?), it's been good. As my friend Jaclyn says, she loves coming to my house for dinner because you never know what you're going to get.

No comments: