Monday, October 26, 2009

Yummy, yummy applesauce


I saw this recipe over at Tried and True Cooking with Heidi last month. She calls it "The Best" Applesauce. It looked wonderful and I figured it had to be better than the apple mush I tried to pass off as applesauce last year. It was! So delicious. I first made it for my boys and one of their friends a couple of weekends ago and made it again by request of my oldest son last week. He loves it. He says it's his favorite snack ever. My youngest loves it too, which is great for Mr. Picky who won't eat much of anything that isn't bread or chocolate.

Here's the recipe:

4 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup white sugar (she suggested Splenda and that's what I used too)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a saucepan, combine apples, water, sugar, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher if you want chunky sauce, or put in the blender for a smooth sauce. I quite like a smooth sauce, so I used my hand blender and it worked like a charm. Thanks Heidi for this one!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm so glad your family enjoyed this too!

Katy ~ said...

Adorable pix of those sweet-faced little boys enjoying the fruit of your labors!

Homemade applesauce - nothing like it! YUM YUM

Coleens Recipes said...

Fresh applesauce is SO delicous and just look at those little faces...TOO CUTE!!!

SnoWhite said...

Yummy! I love applesauce.

As for the pumpkin ice cream -- you can mix it into a plain vanilla ice cream that has been softened and just re-freeze! Enjoy.

Melody said...

It's great to find a snack for the kids that you feel good about giving them. I'll have to give this a try!

Unknown said...

Coollll..always wanted to make homemade apple sauce.. I hope my kids too would enjoy..the goodness..thanks for sharing..do hopin sometime whenever you have some free time..